Monday, August 25, 2014

Book Review: "Ordinary Grace" by William Kent Kreuger

It's the Monday after vacation, and I'm bumming. Ill have a wrap up, a few pictures, and some mini book reviews later this week.

I don't remember how this book got on my TBR but I'm glad that it did!

Our narrator is Frank Drum, 13 years old. He lives in New Bremen Minnesota with his father (Nathan) a pastor, his mom (Ruth) who apparently had quite the wild streak as a teen living in New Bremen but is still struggling to fit into the "pastor's wife" mould, older sister (Ariel) who is musically gifted and going to Juilliard, and younger brother Jake, who is quiet and serious, sometimes due to his stutter.

It's summer of 1961 and livin is mostly easy. Then there is an unexpected death...and then another...and then another, this one the most shocking, the body of a young woman is found in a river. This lends an air of suspicion to the residents of this small Minnesota town. The suspects are numerous. Is it the girls boyfriend? Is it the town's resident hot head teenage idiot who was a drinker with a temper? Is it the older Native American man who was found with the dead girl's jewelry? And then there there's a big unexpected twist!

I liked this book because it had good passing, relatable characters, and wasn't a really intense murder mystery. I don't generally read big complicated murder mysteries (or spy novels) because I generally can't keep all the characters and intrigue straight and then I get annoyed. This book was not like that. It was very readable.My one qualm with this book is that I guessed the "whodunnit" kind of early so I was waiting for the characters to catch up. But that's ok. I gave it a 3.5 out of 5 stars!




15803059

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. I'd love to talk books with you!